Skip to content

Transfer Students

Transfer Student Check List for Prospective Communication Majors

While transferring to the U can be an exciting time, we understand it may also be confusing. To better understand the key components of transferring and becoming a Communication major, follow each of these steps to guide you through this process.

  • Course Transfer Standards: Transfer credit earned at other regionally accredited colleges and universities is normally accepted for advanced standing if the work is parallel in nature to programs offered at the University of Utah, and if grades D- or better have been earned in the credited courses.
  • Major: The Department of Communication will allow 4 transfer Communication courses to count towards the major requirements. 
  • Associates Degrees: Students who have an associate of arts or associate of science degree, or have completed the general education program at another Utah state-supported college or other university are considered to have satisfied the University of Utah's general education requirements. Also, completion of an associate of science or associate of arts degree from a regionally accredited comprehensive community college will satisfy the University of Utah's intellectual exploration and writing portion of general education requirements. The mathematics and American institutions requirements must be completed, if not included in the associate degree. Additional graduation requirements in mathematics, writing, language, etc. are required for graduation. An associate of applied science degree does not clear general education requirements. 
  • Transfer Course Petition:The Office of Admissions determines whether transfer courses are accepted at the University of Utah. If you receive credit at the UofU for transfer courses in Communication, submit this petition for the Department of Communication to determine whether the courses may fulfill Communication major requirements.
  • Tranferology: Your transfer credit evaluation will occur once you've been admitted. Log into Transferology to see how your courses will transfer, and contact us with any questions.

  • Submit online application
  • Pay the application fee
  • Have all college transcripts sent to the Admissions Office

Confirm Intent to Enroll

To confirm your intent to attend the U, all newly admitted and readmitted domestic undergraduate students must fill out a confirmation form and pay the $300 Enrollment Deposit. The confirmation and deposit must be completed before you can register for New Student or Transfer Orientation or enroll in classes.

This deposit will be applied towards your first semester's tuition. However, if you confirm your intent to enroll and then choose to not attend, the $300 enrollment deposit will not be refunded and cannot be transferred to a different semester.

Confirm intent to enroll

Attend Transfer Orientation

To be able to register for classes, all new students are required to attend an Orientation. Communication classes fill up quickly, so as soon as you are admitted to the University sign up for the first available Orientation. We encourage students to rearrange their schedules as necessary to attend the earliest date available.

Attend Transfer Orientation

As you approach your first semester at the U take note of the below resources: 

Academic Calendar: It is the student’s responsibility to check the Academic Calendars for important dates and deadlines.  Students should also be aware of registration dates and deadlines for each upcoming semester. 

Registration Dates: Log into CIS and click on the ‘Registration’ tile, then click ‘View your Registration Dates’, then click on the correct term à you will then see your assigned date and time for registration.

Degree Audits: Students are expected to be generating their Degree Audit regularly.  It is the official degree tracking tool and is used to clear student for graduation and award degrees. For detailed instructions on how to successfully generate a Degree Audit click here

Academic Advising

Transfer students will meet with an advisor at Transfer Orientation. We then suggest that students are meeting with us once a semester around the time the schedule is relased for the upcoming registration term.

Book an Academic Advising Appointment

Major Declaration

Transfer students are usually elgible to declare the major after their first semester at the U.  We require a 2.75 U of U GPA and a 'C' or better in a U of U COMM course. 


Students with an associates degree in Communication can declare the major once admitted to the university.

Declare Your Major

Questions? Email

Transfer Course Petition  Transfer Orientation Information Sheet  Online Application

Last Updated: 7/12/24